Sad because you finished with each and every Ghibli movie ever made? (and Borrower Arrietty is still unreleased in your country) (and you can’t afford a trip to their museum in Tokyo to watch the special shorts there).
Here is a list of Ghibliesque movies I have enjoyed:
- Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. Much too violent for Ghibli, but it was co-produced by them. A stunning movie, if you ignore the fact that the argument is, as some critic put it, “impenetrable”.
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time feels very close to Ghibli, especially to high-school comic dramas such as Ocean Waves. Produced by Madhouse and directed by Mamoru Hosoda.
- 5 Centimeters Per Second. A high school story again, this time more drama than comedy.
- Paprika, amazing filmby Satoshi Kon, animated by Madhouse. Ghibli’s artist Masashi Ando provided designs for this one. Confusing argument, but not altogether impossible to follow. The crazy parade reminds of the one in Pom Poko (so does the one in Innocence).
Unwatched by me (yet):
- Summer Wars produced by Madhouse and directed by Mamoru Hosoda — same director and studio as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.
- Nasu:_Summer_in_Andalusia. About the Spanish vuelta! How come I haven’t seen this one before. Produced by Madhouse.
- Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers also by Satoshi Kon. Sadly, we won’t be getting more from this director, since he passed away in 2010. A tragic loss for anime, as Yoshifumi Kondō‘s death was.
- Kirikou and the Sorceress. French, but distributed by Ghibli in Japan. From what I’ve heard, it’s a brilliant film.
- Sita sings the blues. Is there some connection? I don’t know, but this movie sure seems nice.
Finding more of these
- Time out’s 50 greatest animated films, curated by Terry Gilliam.
- Rotten Tomatoes’ best of anime and animation.