About the only problem I have with my OpenSUSE 11.1 on my desktop PC at work is the ATI graphic card configuration. Each time I upgrade the kernel I have to rebuild the module again, so I enclose here a list of steps that seem to work fine. I have taken these from pongaunagujeronegroensuvida.
- Obtain the latest ATI drivers, some large file named “ati-driver-installer-9.2-x86.x86_64.run” or similarly.
- Go to text mode (su -; init 3).
- Run it as a superuser (su – ; sh ati-driver… etc ), select direct install.
- Run aticonfig –initial -f
- Try aticonfig –overlay-type=Xv, although it may do nothing.
- Run sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx. Hopefully, it will present a X valid config screen; say “OK”.
- Reboot normaly.
- Each time the kernel is upgraded: reboot in secure mode, the X server will fail, but press crtl+atl+F1, go to step 3.